Wednesday 16 April 2014

New York City con't 3 - Central Park

Wednesday, April 9th began poorly. I had trouble sleeping Tuesday night; didn't fall asleep until 2:30 a.m. I did sleep in a bit and awoke at 9:30 a.m. I was tired and didn't feel like jostling in crowds or dealing with the City so decided to just spend the day walking around Central Park.

Luckily and amazingly, my cousin lives right across the busy street from Central Park so it was just a quick walk across the street to reach the paths around Central Park.


The Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir faced me immediately as I entered the Park. It is a large round lake with a nice cement path all the way around where many joggers, dog walkers and women with strollers can be found. A spurting fountain is centered near one end. Many ducks and geese can be found floating in the water. It is a pleasant, peaceful area.

My goal was to stroll around the Park heading to the south end to reach the Central Park Zoo. I was basically in the middle of the Park and so had to head south. The paths were a little confusing. Many choices were available. I asked a couple of people and followed their directions. The Park is so beautiful with flowing grassy areas and lovely trees just beginning to bud. A few flowers could be seen sprouting up.


As I reached further south, the Park became busier with people walking, biking, eating their lunch, or relaxing in the wonderful areas. I passed many interesting places; such as, the rollercoaster seen in Now Can You See Me, the place to play chess as seen in Independence Day, and the ice rink shown in Serendipity.

Finally, after a couple of hours of walking, I reached the little Zoo. I love zoos. First to be seen were seals being fed and asked to do tricks when they were rewarded with fish. There was a nice crowd of parents with children (I was the only one alone). I could imagine how this small, simple place could become so crowded but now it was just pleasantly packed. I was able to move easily around the Zoo viewing a variety of animals.


I was most excited to see the penguins behind the glass allowing you to view them on the rocks or in the water as shown in the movie: Maid in Manhattan. I enjoy this movie from time to time and part of the movie is shot in Central Park so it was fun seeing these areas for real.

Central Park is magnificent but much larger than I ever imagined. It is one place I would like to return to and spend more time.

Check out my next installment when I go to the Empire State Building and Time's Square.

have fun,
patty
www.pattylesser.com
@PattyLesser

No comments:

Post a Comment