Tuesday 25 June 2013

Anybody out there?

What's wrong with people these days? Why won't professional people at least acknowledge you with a quick email?

I have sent so many literary agents my query letter via email and 99% never bothered replying. No email even just to say 'not interested'. Are they that busy? So, I became frustrated with waiting for agents which is why I self-published through Amazon. You require so much time and energy into writing a query letter which is basically an advertisement for your book.They are difficult to write and you spend many hours going over and over and over it again until you can get it just right. The blurbs about my books on my website www.pattylesser.com are taken from my query letters.

After to speaking to a woman at Chapters in Meadowlands, Ancaster, she requested that I send her as much information as I could about the book. It was her job to decide which books are in and which are out of the bookstore. I prepared and sent her a detailed email about Shall We Chat? Didn't hear from her. A couple of weeks after that, send her an email that I would be in the area and could I drop any books off. She again didn't respond. Finally, a month ago, I again sent her an email with the article that came out in the Dundas Star. Still nothing. What am I to think?

Any advice? What should I do? Do I email her again? Do I phone her? Of course I don't want to piss her off, but what are my choices? How aggressive do I get?

I will wait until July 8th before I take another step so you all have plenty of time to leave me any suggestions. There is no point contacting her around a holiday weekend. People usually are difficult to reach at that time.

In addition, I sent Shall We Chat? to Bob Cowan and Annette Hamm at the CHCH television station. They are a team that host a morning show and they alway anchor the noon news. Now, I can't get up for their morning show but I always watch them at noon. They are a great team and I enjoy watching them. I hoped that maybe they would give a local author a break and put me on the morning show as chat is an interesting and relevant topic as well as talking about opening up the discussion about mental illness being that I'm Bipolar.

No, Bob and Annette did not respond in receipt of my book so I don't know if they actually received it. I also sent them an email through the CHCH site advising of my article in the local newspaper. Still, I have not heard from them. Isn't that a little bit annoying? Sure, they must receive plenty of interested folks who want to be put on TV, but can't they at least acknowledge your efforts? Are they that busy? Or am I being foolish to think why would they bother with a lightweight like me?

Leave a comment and let me know what you think. This is one problem about self-publishing: no marketing assistance. I'm on my own and could use any help.

have fun,
patty
www.pattylesser.com

No comments:

Post a Comment