Saturday 29 November 2014

Prejudice

With what's going on in Ferguson, Missouri, one can only review their own thoughts about prejudice. I don't know all the facts of the case except that Michael Brown had just robbed a convenience store before he was killed. He was unarmed, but did the police officer feel threatened? Why couldn't the cop shoot him in the leg? Why did he have to kill him?

The method of which many people in the USA behave doesn't help matters. Burning police vehicles and the personal businesses of people in their community is not the way to go about achieving their goals. Why do people feel the need to riot? Is that going to solve anything?

When I was fifteen, I begged my father for a ten speed bike. He told me to get a job and earn the money. So, I obtained employment as a cook in a restaurant. I don't know why they gave a kid the cooking job. I really didn't know what I was doing, but had a lot of fun and enjoyed working.

One Friday, my parents took off for the weekend leaving my brother and I alone in the house. Well of course I held a party. I invited everyone I knew especially the Manager and Assistant Manager of the restaurant because they were older and would bring booze. The party was a success and we all had a lot of fun.

My next workday was a Tuesday. The Manager ordered me into his office. Along with the Assistant Manager, they gave me a lecture about the fact that I don't need to work because I am Jewish and my parents have lots of money. It would be better that I relinquish the job to someone who needs the money.

Totally shocked by their attitude, I immediately left the restaurant never to return. I couldn't believe I had been fired because I was Jewish.

I wish that prejudice and racism would be eliminated on earth. I don't see the need to demean or hate someone just because they are a different religion, colour or sexual preference. I believe that everyone is equal. Only knowing more about someone would give you the right to dislike them. Otherwise, everyone has a right to live any which way they wish. No one should be allowed to take that away from them.

have fun,
www.pattylesser.com
@PattyLesser

No comments:

Post a Comment